|Bonn castles and
other construction monuments
Bonn is one of the oldest
towns in Germany and can verify a history that is over 2,000 years
old. The Romans already gained ground here 2 centuries before Christ. Even today there is a lot to see in the town, which reflects the
long history of the Roman time until the latest
past. The archbishops of Kurkoln have lived in Bonn for centuries. The prince's castle (at the present a university) and the "Clemensruhe"
called Poppelsdorf castle bear witness. Bonn was the federal
capital and seat of the federal government from 1949 to 1999. The corresponding
governmental buildings and outfittings serve for other purposes at present. Even though
Bonn was often smiled at and was called "federal village" because of the missing
flair of a metropolis, Bonn is still a town with a lot of attractions. Especially the
birth town of the big composer Ludwig van Beethoven shows its multifarious cultural offers, among these numerous museums. It is
about 7 km from the 532-rame castle hotel
Bonn to downtown Bonn.
Elector's castle / Friedrich-Wilhelm university
The prince's castle in Bonn was founded
on a castle which was built in the 13th century, which was extended and
reconstructed in the 16th and 17th century. During the bombardment of the town in
the year 1689 it was destroyed. Elector Joseph Clemens let a new construction be built
upon this. First, a four-wing site with 2
1/2 floors was planned. But the result was a three-wing baroque castle with view towards
the former courtyard and present courtyard garden to the Siebengebirge. In 1777, the elector's castle became victim of flames.
The two-towered courtyard garden facade was rebuilt
in a simple style in the following years. At the same time, a castle chapel in
classical style was built in the east wing of the main building. The castle half which
faces the town was kept with one floor. The once magnificent interior outfitting was
abolished during the course of the secularisation and the chattels were squandered. Since 1818 the Friedrich-Wilhelm university has
its location in the rooms of the castle.
Castle Poppelsdorf / castle Clemensruh
Castle Poppelsdorf, also called Clemensruh, is at the end of the
Poppelsdorf Alley. It was built as residence of the archbishops and electors of Cologne /
Koln in the 18th century as a substiture for the water castles that
were destroyed and finally demolished during the wars of the 16th and 17th century. The construction of the building was started under the elector Joseph
Clemens. His death in the year 1723 caused a longer construction
interruption. His successor, elector Clemens August, gave Balthasar Neumann in 1744 the
assignment to continue with the construction, which was especially
dedicated to the furnishing and the castle garden. In 1756 the building work could finally
be finished. After the castle Poppelsdorf was half-way destroyed in the second World War,
it was only partly rebuilt after the war. At present, institutes of
the university Bonn are located in the rooms of the castle.
The Poppelsdorf castle is a square four-wing site, which is bordered by
a round arcade yard. The baroque construction is accentuated through salient middle
pavillons and corner pavillons. Varying roof forms and floor heights give it a rhythmic
liveliness. Unfortunately, almost nothing reminds of the interior outfitting, that became
lost in the 19th century. The sanctified castle chapel and the famous Muschelsaal (shell
hall) were destroyed in 1746. Only a stucco hall is almost originally completely obtained.
The interior of the castle Poppelsdorf is only seldomly accessible. But a botanical garden
in front of the castle invites for a visit. It accrued in the 19th century through the
reformation of the early baroque flower garden and utilization garden.
Opening hours botanical garden: April to September Mondays to Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to
6:00 p.m. as well as Sundays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. October to March Mondays to
Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (status 2002).
Godesburg in Bonn-Bad Godesberg
The castle Godesburg rises far visible on the Godesberg, a round hill on the left Rhine River shore in the south of the city of Bonn. It is the landmark of the Bonn town part Bad Godesberg and the most
northern hill castle on the Rhine River. Historical
remains prove that the Godesberg hill was a Roman and later a Germanic cult site in
early history times. Christian missionaries built a Michaelskapelle (Michael chapel) here
in the early middle ages, which had to make place for an enormous castle site around 1210.
The first almost impregnable held castle Godesburg was finally destroyed in 1583. Since
then, it only stands as a ruin, but lets one recognize the former site and its
construction history in its main feature.
The Palas belongs to the oldest parts of the
castle Godesburg, which is connected with it through a round stair tower elector chamber
construction and the lower construction of the high castle. The Palas originally had one
floor. In 1340 it was raised. There are only minor rests of the pre-castle. The castle
chapel within the Berings has a Roman choir end. The baroque long house was built in the end of the 17th century. The magnificent altar with its wide
discharged construction, the cambered gable and the golden statue of the holy Michael is
worth seeing. From Godesberg you can enjoy a lovely round view and a view towards the Siebengebirge on the right
Rhine River shore.
Further worth seeing construction works
The city hall, with its impressive facade, which closes the
long, narrow market place, which was built in the first half of the 18th century, also
belongs to the most worthseeing construction works in Bonn. The free stair of the city
hall was location of several historical events. The freedom fighter and poet Gottfried
Kinkel held his revolutionary speech here. Theodor Heuss spoke to
the German people here for the first time as the first Federal President.
Theodor Heuss resided like his successors in the Villa Hammerschmidt,
a big civil noble house from the 19th century on the Rhine River
shore, not far away from the Federal house.
The Palais Schaumburg, which was built in the middle of the 19th
century for Prince Adolf Wilhelm Victor zu Schaumburg-Lippe was used as federal
chancellorship between 1949 and 1974. Today it is mainly used for
The collegiate church St. Cassius and the church Florentius, better
known as the Bonn Munster, takes in a special place among the
sacral buildings of the city of Bonn.
Only a couple of rests of the town fortification which were built in the 13th century can
be seen, among others the rest of the Sterntors (star gate), which were used
on a different site as the reconstuction was done.
The so-called Alte Zoll (old toll), which allows a nice view towards the
Rhine River, is from a bastion of the 17th century.
The Michaelstor (Michael's gate) or Koblenzer Tor (Coblence /
Koblenz gate) was built as seat of the Michael's orden in the
middle of the 18th century.
532-rame castle hotel Bonn Germany North Rhine
Castle hotel rooms
room rates Bonn Germany Rhine River
Meeting hotel conference center seminar room rooms package equipment
Wedding destination location celebration
Bonn Godesburg castle Germany Rhine castles
Museum Museums Bonn Germany Rhine River
Siebengebirge Mountains Drachenfels Drachenburg Petersberg Rolandsbogen
Hiking biking swimming horseback riding tennis
Germany club clubs golf course courses trip trips hotel hotels vacation package
school lesson lessons
Bonn Germany Rhine river day boat cruise
Road map of Germany castle hotel airports 1
Road map Northrhine North Rhine-Westphalia 2
Road map Cologne Koln Bonn airport Rhine
Bonn Rhine River main train station 4
Street map Bonn Germany subway station parking 5